Young Artists’ Competition
The Burlington Symphony Orchestra is excited to announce our Call for Submissions for the 2019-2020 Young Artists’ Competition.
The Burlington Symphony Orchestra supports and encourages promising young artists from Halton and the surrounding areas by offering them the chance to perform as a soloist with a live symphony orchestra. We believe in the encouragement and cultivation of the next generation of musicians. We strive to promote the art of orchestral music by adding to the diversity of opportunity within in the community.
The 2019-2020 competition will award:
- A first place winner, who will perform with our Symphony as a soloist in our May 10, 2020 “In Nature’s Realm” concert and receive a prize of $250;
- A second place winner who will receive a prize of $150 and an honourable mention on our website and on social media;
- An “emerging artist” who will receive a prize of $100 and be acknowledged on our website and on social media.
A list of our past winners with bios can be found on the BSO website; the links are given below.
- The competition is open to musicians playing instruments in the woodwind, brass and string families as well as to pianists;
- Applicants can be a maximum of 21 years of age at the closing date for applications. There is no minimum age requirement, however, only candidates 16 and under will be considered for the emerging artist award.
- The applicant must reside or study in the Province of Ontario, Canada.
Please apply by recording the piece you wish to perform with the orchestra in the event that you win the competition. Include piano accompaniment in your audition recording. Please ensure that the piece meets the following criteria:
- one or more movements of a concerto or a one-movement composition originally composed for your instrument and orchestra;
- orchestral parts readily available in print;
- total performance time not to exceed 15 minutes.
Step 1: Print and fill out the Application Form – YAC 2020 FINAL.
Step 2: Prepare a cheque or money order made out to the Burlington Symphony Orchestra for $35 (non-refundable application fee).
Step 3: Mail your application, cheque and audition recording (CD or USB) to us at the address below. Media will be returned only if you include a stamped/self-addressed envelope.
If you would like to send your recording using a link to online media, indicate this on the form and send it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submissions and payments is a postmark of March 2, 2020.
After you have submitted your audition recording:
- Musicians selected for an audition will be notified by March 18th.
- Finalists will be given a time between 10 am and 1 pm on Saturday, April 4th to play with their accompanist at a Burlington venue in front of a small panel of judges. An acoustic piano and music stand will be provided. A warm up room with an electric keyboard will be available fifteen minutes before your audition.
- Winners will be notified on or before April 7th, 2020.
Inquiries and media submissions:
Our Past Winners
- Click here to see the complete list of winners from 1991 to the present.
- Click here to see the bios of recent winners, from 2013 to the present.
For More Information
Burlington Symphony Orchestra
1100 Burloak Drive, Suite 300
Canada L7L 6B2